I love do-it-yourself(DIY). It saves a lot of money plus you know the ingredients you are using. Today, we’ll be talking about home remedy for body odour. Body odour is so yuck. Occasional mild body odour is normal, but excessive or unpleasant body odour can be a source of great discomfort for others and very embarrassing for you.
Strong and unpleasant odour emanates from the body when the sweat glands are overactive. But it is not sweat that causes body odour. The unpleasant odour occurs when sweat mixes with bacteria. The bacteria that cause odour grow quickly in a warm, moist environment. Some other causes of offensive body odour include poor hygiene, nutrient deficiencies, gastrointestinal problems like chronic constipation, and underlying medical problems, such as genetic metabolic disorders, liver disease, or diabetes. The primary symptom of body odour is an unusual, pungent smell arising from the body. Other symptoms include excessive sweating, night sweats and cold hands. Body odour can be treated with over-the-counter medicines or by practicing good hygiene. There are also simple and natural home remedies that get rid of body odour by controlling the growth of bacteria and reducing excessive sweating.
- Baking Soda: Baking soda helps absorb moisture from the skin, it can absorb sweat and reduce body odour. Plus, it kills bacteria and works like a natural deodorant.
- Mix one tablespoon each of baking soda and lemon juice. Apply it to your underarms and other body parts where you sweat excessively. Leave it on for a couple of minutes and wash it off with water; do not scrub. Then take a shower or bath. Do this once daily for a few weeks.
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Soak a cotton ball in apple cider vinegar and rub it on your underarms. Wait two to three minutes and then take your shower. Follow this remedy twice daily, once in the morning and again before going to bed, until you notice improvement.
- Alternatively, add one cup of apple cider vinegar to lukewarm bath water. Soak in this water for 10 minutes once daily.
- You can also add two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar along with a little honey to a glass of warm water. Drink it three times daily before eating your meals.
- Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is great for treating body odour. The acidic property of lemon juice helps lower the skin’s pH level, which in turn makes it difficult for odour-producing bacteria to survive.
- Cut one fresh lemon into two halves. Rub one half of the lemon on your underarms. Make sure the juice gets onto your skin. Allow it to dry on its own, and then take your shower. Follow this remedy once daily until the odor is gone completely.
- If you have sensitive skin, you can dilute the juice from half a lemon in one-half cup of water and apply it to your underarms using a cotton ball. Leave it on for 10 minutes, and then wash it off with water. Do this once daily until you notice improvement.
Rosemary inhibits growth of odour-causing bacteria. It also contains menthol and chlorophyll, which have natural deodorant properties that neutralize strong body odour and also lend a nice fragrance to your body. Plus, it has zinc, of which a deficiency can cause body odour.
- Add one-half cup of dried rosemary leaves to four cups of hot water. Allow it to steep for 10 minutes, and then add it to your bath water. Soak in this bath water for 15 to 20 minutes. Pat dry your skin. Follow this remedy once daily to smell nice throughout the day.
- Alternatively, mix eight to 10 drops of rosemary essential oil in one ounce of water and apply it under your arms as a deodorant.
Note: If rosemary causes any kind of irritation, discontinue its use.
5. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has antibacterial as well as antiseptic properties to kill bacteria present on the skin and eliminate body odour. Also being an astringent, tea tree oil controls sweating.
- Add two drops of tea tree oil to two tablespoons of water.
- Pour the solution into a spray bottle and use it as a deodorant.
Note: Those who have highly sensitive skin must avoid using tea tree oil.
Tomatoes have antiseptic properties that can kill bacteria that cause body odour. They also help shrink pores and reduce sweating.
- Gently crush seven to eight tomatoes.
- Press the crushed tomatoes on a sieve to extract the juice.
- Add this freshly extracted juice to a bucket full of water.
- Use it to take your bath.
- Follow this remedy once daily to control body odour.
You can also drink one to two glasses of tomato juice daily to reduce body odour.