Transitioning your hair to natural is the process of eliminating all chemical treatments and allowing your natural hair to grow out while gradually trimming the chemically-processed ends away. It takes time and patience but for many women it is worth the wait because they may be uncomfortable big chopping.
Most women who transition to natural hair slowly trim their relaxed ends away as they grow the relaxer/perm out of their hair, this also helps to keep breakage manageable and it gives your hair a more healthy appearance.
Pros of Transitioning From Relaxed to Natural Hair :
- You have the time to learn about your particular hair type.
- If you are not comfortable with short hair, then you can avoid that adjustment period, and avoid the wait of growing your hair back out.
- During transitioning you have the time to perfect your hair styling skills.
Cons of Transitioning From Relaxed to Natural Hair :
- The texture of your hair will not be consistent: which means if you decide to wear your hair in a braid out or twist out style the root of your hair might be curly while your ends will be bone straight (To avoid this simply roll the ends of your hair with rods or rollers).
- The process of transitioning takes longer than if you just did “the big chop”.
Also remember these rules
- Avoid heat
- Always deep condition
- No chemicals on hair
- Take hair supplements