It is a known fact that the gele or headgear is important to a Nigerian woman. It gives a regal look to her attire and brings out the beauty in her face. There are some occasions that we need the gele to complete our outfit and make it look beautiful. It is indeed necessary to have an idea of how to tie it. In fact, knowing how to tie your own it yourself is really wonderful.
Tying the gele is an art and is not an easy task but can be done nevertheless. Here is a tutorial on it.
- Start by folding in the end of the gele, this will ensure there is a smooth base at the front .
- Take the gele and wrap it around the head from the back to the front ensuring that the ends at the front are equal. This aspect is very important.
- Then take one side of it, e.g: the left side, and wrap it towards your right all the way round to the left ear and secure with your hands. At this point the left side of the gele will be shorter than that of the right side.
- Take the right side and cross it over the left side of the gele. Then take the right side (the longer side) round the head to the back, wrapping it and securing it with your hands at the back.
- At the side & back of the gele, begin to arrange the gele, measure around the head in levels and layers…..squeeze the ends to form a fan from the middle of the layout, ensuring that the left over at the end closest to you is enough to grip.
- Repeat the same on the other side.
- Secure the grip by typing both ends closest to you into a knot twice and neatly tucking in the loose bits.
- At this point there will be two layers at the top of the gele piece. Start arranging the layer at the back first making sure the highest point of the gele is in the middle.
- Then move to the layers at the front. Start making lines and pleats forming layered steps at the front of the gele with your fingers. Be sure to try to make them as defined as possible.
- Push the gele back as desired away from the face to give the face a lift. Be sure not to push back excessively as to prevent the gele from falling off your head. Also be sure not to pull your ears out of the gele. Now, you can adjust to style as desired.
Here is also a video (beauty by huni) to make it easier to comprehend. Enjoy!