For quite a while now in Nigeria, natural hair in its unrelaxed state has been kind of the coolest thing. Many people have joined the natural hair bandwagon in other to grow their hair. Sadly, if you don’t take care of your hair, it won’t grow. So, whether relaxed or unrelaxed, good hair practices go a long way in helping one retain length. Most people think about preventing hair loss only after they have lost a lot of it. But if you start early (like when you still have a head full of hair), you save yourself a lot of stress and money to buy miracle hair products. In fact, the truth is preventing hair loss is a simpler process than treating hair loss. Plainly put, it all boils down to some sensible hair care – if you take care to keep the hair you’ve got, you will be blessed with better looks and healthier hair. So here are a few things you can do to prevent your hair from falling :
1. Follow a healthy lifestyle
2. Take care of your hair
3. Regularly trim your hair
4. Avoid things bad for your hair
5. Adopt simple Home treatments
1. Take Care of Your Hair
Dirty hair is more likely to get infected and more likely to fall – Buy good-quality shampoo(ones free from sulphates) and hair products. When you shampoo your hair, concentrate on the scalp and hair roots. When applying a conditioner or hair lotion, it is better to concentrate on the ends of your hair (which tend to dry out faster and are more vulnerable to the damage that comes from exposure).
2.Follow a Healthy Lifestyle
If you are healthy, your hair will probably look good. And if your hair is falling, it could be a sign of possible health problems. So everything you do for good health also applies to hair: eat fruits and vegetables (Vitamin B, Iron, Calcium and Zinc) have especially been linked to healthy hair.
Protein rich diet is also necessary for healthy hair growth as our hair is made up of protein. Eat loots of beans, egg etc for healthy hair and please dont forget to drink lots and lots of water.
3. Trimming your hair regularly helps your hair look and feel better. It helps to get rid of split ends which cause damage to our hair if we keep it. Regular trims will ensure a healthy hair.
4. Avoid Things that are Bad for Your Hair: There are so many things we do on a daily basis that is bad for our hair. Some of these things include:
- Wearing styles that pull the hair tight(usually into braids or pony tails). Many women pull their hair so tight it comes out of its roots. If you change your hairstyle soon enough, your hair will recover. Otherwise, your hair might permanently stop growing from the areas it is pulled most from.
- Any chemical treatments should be avoided or applied with caution and at a moderate rate.
- Blow-drying your hair– This dries out the scalp and damages hair follicles. Allow your hair to air dry at least part of the time, or change the heat setting on your blower to the lowest.
- Combing your hair or rough toweling when it’s wet– This will pull out some hair strands from the roots and stretch and break others. So be careful when combing that hair!
There are lots and lots of natural hair treatments one can use on the hair. Nature has given us lots of oils that are wonderful for hair and its advisable to make use of these. Some of these natural products include honey, avocado, coconut milk, banana etc. for conditioning. You also have coconut, olive, almond, castor, peppermint, tea tree, grapeseed oils which can also be used for hair growth.
Remember, prevention is better than cure.