Everyone was born with white teeth but we have to work to keep it white.One of the reasons why we brush our teeth is to prevent our teeth from turning brown. Sparkling white teeth can make anyone appear more attractive, healthy and younger. Many people avoid smiling in public because they are self-conscious about the poor colour of their teeth. Many things can cause the teeth to get discoloured.
Teeth may gradually become yellow due to aging, hereditary factors, poor dental hygiene, or excessive consumption of tea, coffee, tobacco and cigarettes.
In addition, high doses of antibiotics, climatic conditions, infection and improper metabolism can contribute to discolouring of the teeth. Of course, sometimes people go to dentists to seek professional treatment to whiten the teeth. It can however be expensive and time consuming.
So here are some natural remedies that can be used to whiten the teeth. Some of these ingredients can be found in your kitchen so these will save you wastage of money.
- Coconut Oil Rinse
I know this sounds absolutely mad (I thought it was crazy too when I first read about it) but rinsing your mouth with coconut oil (called ‘oil pulling’) is a unique, old, remedy that people swear by to help whiten teeth. It doesn’t sound like the most pleasant thing in the world, but I actually don’t mind the taste, and I think it does make a difference in the color of your teeth. It won’t make a difference by “bleaching” per say, but lauric acid in coconut oil can rid your teeth of bacteria found in plaque that can make them yellow. It is also supposed to promote gum health, and help keep your breath fresh.
You will need…
-About a tablespoon of coconut oil
In the morning, before you brush your teeth, scoop out a tablespoon or a little less (depending on the size of your mouth) of coconut oil. You can either soften it, or just put it in your mouth (I usually do the latter, and just let it soften.) Push, swish, and “pull” the oil through and around your teeth for 10-15 minutes, then spit it out, rinse with water, and brush your teeth.
- Baking Soda
Baking soda is one of the best ingredients that you can use to get rid of discoloured teeth. It will help remove plaque and make your pearly whites shine.
- Mix a quarter teaspoon of baking soda with a little toothpaste. Brush your teeth with this gritty mixture and rinse with warm water. Use it once or twice a week.
- Alternatively, you can combine baking soda with lemon juice, white vinegar, or hydrogen peroxide.
- You can make a whitening mouthwash by mixing one tablespoon of baking soda and one and a half teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide with one cup of cold water. Rinse with the mouthwash two or three times a day.
- You can also scrub your teeth gently for at least two minutes with diluted baking soda. Do this twice in the first week, and then every 15 days. It is essential to note that excess use of baking soda can strip your teeth of its natural enamel.
- Orange Peel
Cleaning your teeth with fresh orange peel on a regular basis will reduce the yellow tinge accumulated on your teeth.
- Rub orange peel over your teeth every night before going to sleep. The vitamin C and calcium in the orange peel will combat the microorganisms throughout the night.
- Do this for a few weeks and you will notice effective results.
If fresh orange peel is not available, you can use dried orange peel powder.
Strawberries contain a good amount of vitamin C, which helps make your teeth whiter.
- Grind a few strawberries into a paste. Rub the paste on your teeth gently. If done twice daily for a few weeks, it would help with your teeth whitening.
- Another option is to mix the pulp of one strawberry with one-half teaspoon of baking soda and spread the mixture onto your teeth and let it sit for a few minutes. Rinse out your mouth and brush your teeth with toothpaste to get rid of any residue.
- Hydrogen Peroxide
The mild bleaching effect of hydrogen peroxide can help make discoloured teeth white again.
- Rinse and gargle with a mouthwash that has hydrogen peroxide. Make sure not to swallow the hydrogen peroxide. It should be used with caution.
- You can also make a paste of baking soda with hydrogen peroxide and gently brush your teeth with it. Later, brush your teeth with your regular toothpaste.
Use hydrogen peroxide with extra caution as it can cause irritation of the gums and make your teeth sensitive.
The bleaching property present in lemon can also help get rid of discoloured teeth. In fact, gargling with lemon juice and scrubbing your teeth with lemon peel is one of the best ways to get white teeth.
- Mix together a few drops of lemon juice and some salt.
- Apply the mixture on the stained teeth and rub the paste vigorously over your teeth and gums. Leave it on for a few minutes and then rinse your mouth thoroughly with water.
- Do this twice daily for about two weeks to get rid of tartar and the yellow tinge.
Salt is one of the fundamental dental cleansing agents that has been used for ages. It helps replenish lost mineral content in the teeth and helps revive their white color.
- You can use common salt regularly each morning as a tooth powder instead of toothpaste. Another option is to mix common salt with charcoal and brush your teeth with it regularly.
- You can also mix common salt with baking soda and gently rub it on your teeth.
Be extra careful using salt as it can cause damage to your gums and tooth enamel if used roughly.